What Does the Game Mean to Me?
- It means a young boy or girl sleeping with their mitt on just in case a late-night game breaks out in their dreams.
- It means closing your eyes and swinging as hard as you can.
- It means butterflies in the batter’s box of a tight game.
- It’s praying and trying to make a deal with God that if he lets your team win today you will never ask for another thing again.
- It is the countless life lessons learned in between those white lines.
- It means and hot dogs and peanuts and the 7th inning stretch.
- It’s hearing Babe Ruth’s boisterous approval in every pure crack of the bat.
- It’s the friendships brought together and carried on for the rest of your life.
- It means pulling up your socks to emulate the heroes of the past.
- It means not being able to sleep the night before opening day.
- It means playing catch with dad or mom.
- It means getting so caught up that you nearly forgot to breathe.
- It’s the wonderment in a toddler’s eye the first time he or she sees that shining diamond in person.
- It means that all you need is a stick and a ball to have the best summer of your life.
- It means the smell of freshly cut grass on a lazy July afternoon.
- It’s the selfless act in sacrificing your moment of glory for the good of the team.
- It means choking up with two strikes and moving the runner.
- It means t-ball games and the sparkle in a youngster’s eye when they get their first hit.
- It means fighting tooth and nail for as long as you live to find the fraction of an inch that separates a pop-up from a home run.
- It means learning from your failures and tipping your cap to the victors.
- It means getting knocked down, dusting yourself off, and ripping a double in the gap.
- What does the game mean to me? In a word: Everything!